Fabri-Kal was incorporated in 1950 in Kalamazoo, Michigan, when seven shareholders purchased the Kalamazoo Paper Box Company’s plastic segment and set up shop in 5,000 square feet of a former A&P grocery store.
The first products Fabri-Kal produced were paint cups for the paint-by-number industry. The company soon expanded into manufacturing oriented polystyrene meat trays and pizza lids and then diversified into proprietary stock packaging products, including plastic cups, lids and acrylic chair mats.
In 1961 the company built a 25,000 square foot manufacturing facility on East Cork Street in Kalamazoo and by 1967, a second Fabri-Kal manufacturing plant began operation in Hazleton, Pennsylvania. In 1969, as its employee roster neared 400, the Fabri-Kal Foundation was established to support cultural diversity and provide higher-education tuition assistance to young-adult children of Fabri-Kal employees.
In 1981, Fabri-Kal built its third plastic packaging plant in Piedmont, South Carolina, and opened its new headquarters building in Kalamazoo. By the late 1990’s Fabri-Kal had worked with some of the biggest brands in the food industry, establishing their position as a preferred manufacturer in the Custom Packaging Goods market.